Sigma Design Forums  

Go Back   Sigma Design Forums > ARRIS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Default consistent pdf problems

Why do I have so many problems trying to make PDF from Arris 9.4 (windows xp)? Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. I have problems whether I am doing it direct from a sheet or doing multiple picks. This morning I opened a sheet and proceeded to make a PDF with no problems. I then opened another sheet in the same database and tried to make another PDF and it did not work. I got the message "unknown error reading file". i have tried everything which has been listed on the server and it seems that nothing works with any consistency. Is it just me or are others having the same problem? Arris 9.3 works like a charm with the PDF function, it just takes too long to load a large database and I don't like having to load another version of Arris for a PDF function and don't think I should have to.
Any solutions out there?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Default pdf problems

Could it be something as simple as the pdf program trying to name the new pdf file with the same name, and you already have that file open (because you created one pdf already and viewed it?) When it creates a pdf file, what directory does the file go into?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 AM

I do not have a PDF file open when I attempt to create a new one & if I am trying to name it the same as one made previously, I am asked if I want to overwrite the file. My PDF files go into the Project directory.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Rickm,

Could you do this to help me figure out what is going on?

1. Create a file in your TEMP folder callled "leaveplt". That will force ARRIS to keep temporary plotting files around after the plot, for debugging.
2. Plot a drawing to a PDF file.
3. After a Plot to PDF fails, and you get that error, sort the TEMP folder by date and zip up and send me the last files in the folder with names like these:

a temporary database folder folder called something like "xxxxxx.db" (My last one was called "8259950f.db".)
pdftemp.bat
pdf_xxxx.tmp (Mine was called pdf_825g.tmp.)
pdf_xxxx.pl (Mine was called pdf_825e.pl.)

With those 3 files and the .db folder I should be able to figure out what's causing the problem. I may need another file or two if there is hard-coded path to an image file or something in the .pl plot file.

4. Lastly, remove the 'leaveplt' file from your temp folder, so that we stop leaving those temporary files around.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:08 PM

how is that done? where is this "temp" file. Are you talking about making a folder called leaveplt?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM

The TEMP folder is the folder you get to of you open Windows Explorer, enter

%TEMP%

in the path window at the top, and then hit the Enter key.

When I do that, I find myself looking at the folder:

C:\Users\rich\AppData\Local\Temp

I usually create the 'leaveplt' file while in a Command Prompt window (DOS window). There you just type in:

cd %TEMP%
echo xxx > leaveplt

and then type in

dir /od

to see if the file was made.

You can also do it from Windows Explorer like this:

Go to the TEMP folder, as explaained above, then right click in that folder window and select New and the "Text Document" and make a new file called "leaveplt", with no extension.

You might have to uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" checkbox under Folder Options/View for that folder, to make sure you don't get have a ".txt" extension.

Either way, you want to make that file before you fail during a PDF plot, to leave the debug files behind.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 AM

Here are the files - I did this early in the morning before any other transactions other than loading Arris were performed. I have included all of the temp files for this date (8/19/2010). I am trying to send you the zip file in this message, but can't get it to work - can you send me an email (r1138@att.net) & I will send it to you.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Just zip up the files and send the files to me at rich.hart@renderplus.com

If the zip file is too large to email, please go to this page:

http://www.renderplus.com/htm/uploads.htm

and follow the instructions, to send us a large file.

Make sure you send me an email telling me that you sent us the file, so that we notice that is has been uploaded.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 AM

I never got an answer - any luck with this?