Sigma Design Forums  

Go Back   Sigma Design Forums > ARRIS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM
ARRIS Development Team

Default Middle Mouse button in AutoCAD

We are trying to add an option to ARRIS so that the middle mouse button and wheel can (optionally) be set to act more like AutoCAD.

You can use the mouse wheel in AutoCAD to zoom (which already works in ARRIS).

However, does anything happen in AutoCAD if you click or press and hold the mouse wheel or middle mouse button?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Chris_Patrick

On my 2010LT version, holding the scroll wheel down switches to pan mode until I let it go. Can't say that I've ever used it.... much easier to zoom out and zoom in another place with the wheel.

Baxter Armistead Architecture, PC
3206 Heritage Trade Drive, Suite 114
Wake Forest, North Carolina 27587
919-554-1505 phone
Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 AM
ARRIS Development Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Patrick View Post
On my 2010LT version, holding the scroll wheel down switches to pan mode until I let it go. Can't say that I've ever used it.... much easier to zoom out and zoom in another place with the wheel.
When you "zoom in in another place", is the image panned so that the mouse location is placed in the middle of the screen?

If so, does ARRIS do this as well? (I just looked. We do not pan to the mouse location during zoom.)
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Sigma Design

When ARRIS is zoomed in or out using the mouse scroll wheel, the zoom is centered on the cursor location.

The original question is that in AutoCAD, does pressing the middle button of the mouse (the scroll wheel) do anything?

Many current and ex-AutoCAD users like the zoom function of the mouse scroll wheel which is found in ARRIS. Because ARRIS also uses the middle mouse button click for other things, sometimes if you scroll with a heavy finger, a point may be unintentionally entered or the Help menu called (if the cursor is over a menu). To avoid this we are considering adding a setting in ARRIS to disable the middle mouse click. Those who use the scroll wheel zoom a lot and tend to press harder would be able to turn off the selection functions of the middle button. For drawing screen selection, the Function Keys would still be available, and Menu Help would still be accessible by placing the cursor over the menu button and pressing the F2 key.

If there is an additional behavior to pressing the middle mouse button in AutoCAD, we want to take that into consideration also.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
ARRIS Development Team

Thanks Jim,

I see that ARRIS zooms, centered on the mouse location. That works well.

We could consider using the middle button to pan, especially if other Windows apps do it. I just tried SketchUp. They use the scroll wheel to zoom but use the middle mouse button to orbit in 3D.

The nice thing about using the same button for both - zoom and pan - is that you can focus in on a desired location without having to use your other hand, and without having to select other modes for the toolbars between zooming and panning. (In ARRIS this works well in Pan mode - you can use the scroll wheel to zoom and the left mouse to pan. However, since we do exactly this in Pan mode, it would be easy to do the same thing in "no middle button" mode - using the wheel to zoom, and the middle button only to pan)